Tips for a safe Labor Day with your pets.
Labor day often means the end of summer, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be celebrating with family and friends! Here are some important tips to keep your pets safe and healthy during the holiday celebrations.
1. Insects can be a real bother, but don’t use insect repellents on your pet unless they are made specifically for use on animals. Improper use of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
2. Always assign a pet sitter. Make sure there is someone keeping an eye on your pet at all times, especially if you are celebrating away from home, or in unfamiliar areas. This will help ensure that your beloved pet won’t be lost in the shuffle of people and parties. This is especially important if you are traveling.
3. Provide shaded areas. Pets can get dehydrated quickly. Be sure to provide shaded areas where they can escape the heat, and always have fresh water available. If it’s extremely hot, keep them inside.
4. Feed them their normal diet. Even small changes in diet can give your pet indigestion and diarrhea. Do not feed any pet onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, salt, yeast dough, grapes and raisins, as these foods are toxic.
5. Never leave your dog alone in the car. On a hot day, a parked car can become hot enough to be deadly, even with the windows open.