As summer approaches and temperatures rise, many people heed the advice of experts and take precautionary steps to avoid the sun’s harmful rays. Families get ready for fun in the sun with loads of sunscreen and cute hats, but many don’t realize they need to safeguard their four-legged friends from the spiking temperatures as well.
Like humans, dogs are susceptible to dehydration, overheating and sickness due to the sun and heat. Espree Animal Products encourages pet owners to take the following precautions to ensure the safety of their dogs this summer:
- Dogs, like people, should not be out in the heat of the day without proper shade and adequate water.
- Dogs can get sunburned, especially on the nose, ear tips and any spots with exposed skin. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out in the sun with your dog.
- You can trim your dog to be cooler in the summer, but do not expose their skin. Do not shave your dog’s coat, because it can lead to sunburn and skin cancer. A dog’s coat actually provides insulation from the sun and heat.
- Paw pads can be sensitive to hot pavement, so try to avoid. Paw Balm may help soothe and condition burnt or cracked pads.
- Dogs may be bathed monthly in the summer months or up to once a week, if needed.
- If a dog’s face gets dirty between baths, use a facial wash for quick cleaning.
- Dogs should be bathed after swimming in salt water or a swimming pool to avoid drying the skin and coat.
- Dogs with continually growing hair, such as Shih Tzus and Poodles, need to be groomed every four to six weeks.
Choose your dog’s shampoo based on its needs:
o Tea Tree or Oatmeal Shampoo for irritated skin
o Bright White Shampoo to brighten up those whites
o Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin and allergies
o Puppy Shampoo for a gentle tear-free bath
Espree manufactures a blend of natural and organic pet grooming solutions that are both safe and effective. As the preferred product for professional groomers for 22 years, Espree provides a solution-specific line with more than 75 different products created for the well-being of the pet, their devoted human and the professionals who care for them. Espree’s products are distinguished by their contents – natural and organic ingredients that are gentle and safe. The company has grown steadily because of its expertise and innovation in the development of pet grooming products.
Espree serves customers throughout Europe, Asia, Canada and the U.S. Pet owners and groomers can find Espree Animal Products at PETCO stores nationwide or at www.espree.com.