It’s the holiday season, and we have a great guest post to help those of you who are going to be traveling with your pets.
Top 10 Tips to Stress-Free Holiday Travel with your Pet
Every holiday season thousands of travelers hit the road to destinations near and far. For those traveling with pets, additional preparation can make the difference between a stress free experience and a trip filled with anxiety for you and your pet. PurinaCare® Pet Health Insurance (www.purinacare.com) would like to offer some tips to help prepare families and their pets for the summer travel season. The tips focus on preparing pets for travel, while on the road.
- Update your pet’s vaccinations and medical records before traveling and take them with you on the trip.
- Carry a copy of your veterinarian’s business card or phone number.
- Pack any medications (including heartworm prevention).
- Make sure your pet is fitted with a collar that has updated I.D. information. Micro chipping is also a popular option.
- Have a leash and harness easily accessible.
- Have containers of water in the car for rest stops and plan to stop at least every two hours.
- Have an adequate supply of pet food in a watertight container.
- Plan stops at pet friendly locations that have pet areas. Never leave your pet in the car.
- Look for pet friendly hotels and call ahead to make reservations.
- For cats carry a litter box and supply of litter.