Founded by Helen Woodward Animal Center and supported by Iams, the Iams Home 4 the Holidays campaign began in 1999 with just 14 participating animal shelters in San Diego County. Today there are 3,500 animal organizations in 17 countries around the world helping orphaned animals find loving homes. This year, award winning actress Hilary Swank joined the cause to help homeless animals find loving homes during the holiday season. An animal lover herself, she adopted her dog Rumi!
Since it began in 1999, Iams Home 4 the Holidays has helped place more than 3 million pets into happy homes. This year the program, which started on Oct.1, has helped more than 713,828 cats, dogs and other animals find homes. The goal is to find homes for 1.5 million animals between Oct. 1, 2009 and Jan. 4, 2010.
If you are considering adding a pet to your family as a gift, PLEASE consider adoption from shelters and rescue first. There are so many great animals waiting to find homes. You won’t just be giving an amazing gift to your family, but you will be saving a life as well.
To make a difference in the life of an orphaned animal by volunteering, donating or adopting, please visit www.iamshome4theholidays.com.
- As many as 8 million animals are homeless in the U.S.
- Nearly 4 million orphaned dogs and cats will be euthanized this year due to shelter over-crowding and lack of awareness about the importance of pet adoption.
- More than 25 percent of all dogs in shelters are purebreds.
- IH4TH helped 1,202,751 pets find homes last year alone.
- In Oct. 2008 Hilary Swank adopted Rumi through IH4TH at a Los Angeles shelter.
- Over the past decade more than 3 million pets –1,638,515 dogs, 1,505,690 cats and 134,062 “other” animals – have been adopted through IH4TH.
Visit Iams Home 4 The Holidays to learn more.